Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Celebrate August 4

Its August 4th and I'm ready to Celebrate, anyone care to join me?  Here are some excuses to Celebrate today!

  • National Backgammon Day
  • Coast Guard Day established in 1790
  • National Chocolate Chip Day
  • Hooray for Kids Day!
  • Kentucky Fried Chicken Birthday 1952
  • Independence Day (Jamaica and Brikina Faso)
I love these fun yet simple Celebrations we have been having lately! Hooray for Kids Day, National Chocolate Chip Day (so yummy), KFC's Birthday (my first job ever was at KFC), National Backgammon Day (I don't know anything about Backgammon, I can't think of a better day to learn.)

Today because it is Hooray for Kids Day and National Chocolate Chip Day.  I decided to honor them both by waking up early and making my kids Chocolate Chip Pancakes for Breakfast.  The kids love Chocolate Chip Pancakes and they were so happy to see them hot and ready as they came down for breakfast. I yelled Hooray for Kids!, as they walked down the stairs (yes they did give me weird looks and one of them started laughing at me)

Even Royalty played Backgammon
So I broke out a backgammon set I had in the closet (that was collecting dust) I had never opened it.  I did a little research online about backgammon and to tell you the truth, it spiked my curiosity.  This game can be traced back to 3000 BC (crazy) So if a board game can stick around for that many years it must be good, right?

My oldest son and I have been playing Backgammon all morning and he is so much better then I am!  This game is really fun and easy to pick up on.  My oldest loves chess and checkers so this game came very easy to him!  This is a great game for kids (about 5 and up in my opinion)

I would encourage you to try Backgammon if you haven't already!  If you have played it before play it in honor of National Backgammon Day!


KFC is turning 58 years old today!  It's funny all I can think about right now is "So I Married An Axe Murderer" if you have seen this movie you know why I'm thinking about it along with KFC.  The chicken at KFC truly has some addictive chemical in it!

To celebrate KFC's birthday their are a few things you can do!  I'm really cheap, and Kentucky Fried Chicken can be a pricey meal for me and my family (sorry Colonal Sanders) so something I do to cut, costs but, still get the great taste of KFC is.  I do not buy the complete meals, I just get the chicken and I prepare my own sides.  This really does lower the cost of the meal and it still seems super special!  I'm a HUGE fan of the biscuits so sometimes I splurge and get those in addition to the chicken!

So tonight we will be having KFC with biscuits, homemade mashed potatoes, and corn on the cob! Yummy!

There are lots of fun coloring pages of the Colonal online if your kids enjoy coloring.  I feel a little bit like I'm brainwashing my children to like KFC when they are coloring pictures of the Colonal but, I guess only time will tell with that one!

Something fun today we did also was on our world map the kids located Birkina Faso and Jamaica.  It was fun to show them where these countries are and how today they are celebrating their Independence!

Happy August 4th Everyone Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. My sister used to call Chicken Legs (chicken with a handle) Have so much fun today Mary!!

    ReplyDelete