Friday, August 6, 2010

Celebrate August 6

Today is August 6th and I have a few excuses to Celebrate.  Do you need an excuse?  Well, you came to the right place!!

  • Odie's Birthday (Garfield's Pal)
  • National Fresh Breath Day
  • Lucille Ball's Birthday (1911)
  • Wiggle Your Toes Day
  • National Gossip Day
  • Vitaphone Birthday 1926
  • Half way point of the Summer (12:08 PM EDT)
  • Accession Day (United Arab Emirates)
  • Hiroshima Day
  • Farmer's Day (Zambia)
Fresh Breath Day, what a wonderful Celebration!  Break out the wintergreen gum, scope, and Binaca.  Today you don't have to feel bad about giving your co-workers that piece of gum they desperately need because you have the perfect excuse.  It's National Fresh Breath Day and you can pass out gum to everyone and no one can be offended!

It's Lucille Ball and Odie's Birthdays today!  I love Lucille Ball!  I really think she was beautiful!  My kids are not so into watching the Lucille Ball show but, we all love watching the original "Yours, Mine, and Ours" so for Friday Night Movie night.  That will be the special feature at our home!  Its a fun movie!  I really love this classic movie!  

It is also the day the Vitaphone came out!  To be perfectly honest I had no idea what a vitaphone was or is.  I did some research and here you go. The Vitaphone was a sound film process used on features and nearly 2,000 short subjects produced by Warner Bros. and its sister studio First National from 1926 to 1930. Vitaphone was the last, but most successful, of the sound-on-disc processes. The soundtrack was not printed on the actual film, but was issued separately on 16-inch phonograph records. The discs would be played while the film was being projected. Many early talkies, such as The Jazz Singer (1927), used the Vitaphone process. (The name "Vitaphone" derives from the Latin and Greek words, respectively, for "living" and "sound.")

So for a super fun activity today the kids and I did something (you may think is really weird) but, is so much fun!  We went and turned on one of the kids favorite TV shows (Well, actually it was my daughters we turned on Full House. I know what you are thinking why does my daughter like Full House?  But, my son likes He-Man and Thunder Cats.  I just really like those 80's/90's shows I guess)

Okay I'm back from the tangent.  So we turned on this sitcom and we muted the television and made our own dialog.  I know this is exactly what a vitaphone is or was but, the whole idea of the sound and the movie being separate is what I was going for!

This activity was so much fun and so funny!

Today is also the day that marks the half way point of summer!  Isn't that crazy Summer is half way over!  To celebrate Summer's Midway point.  We are having a Summer BBQ!  We love a good excuse to BBQ and I can't think of a better one!

Happy August 6th!  Hope your day is filled with Excuses to Celebrate!



No comments:

Post a Comment