Saturday, July 31, 2010

Celebrate July 31

Its July 31st and I can not wait to start Celebrating.  Here are some excuses to Celebrate TODAY 
  • National Dance Day
  • Harry Potter's Birthday (1980)
  • J.K. Rowling's Birthday (1965)
  • Shredded Wheat debut (1893)
We are HUGE Harry Potter fans at our house so today we will be Celebrating Harry Potter's Birthday (in so doing also honoring J.K. Rowling.) You know what just for kicks I will have a bowl of Shredded Wheat for breakfast and I don't usually need an excuse to dance  (I'm constantly dancing in my kitchen) but, today I will feel complete justification in dancing while I clean and cook!

So many of my Celebrations have to do with Food (but, thats how I grew up good food, good friends, and fun)  so here are some of my top Harry Potter Recipes!  I hope your family enjoys them as much as ours!



Licorice Wands
6 oz Vanilla flavored Almond Bark
24 pieces of licorice (any flavor, any color)
*sprinkles or colored sugars


1. Place candy coating in 2-cup microwavable measuring cup.  Microwave uncovered on High 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds, until melted.


2 Dip Half of each licorice twist into melted candy coating.  Sprinkle with candy sprinkles.  Place on waxed paper for about 1 hour or until coating is firm.

Butter Beer (non-alcoholic)
1 liter cream soda
2-3 tbsp butter
2-3 tbsp brown sugar
1 Cup cream
4 or 5 Werther's Originals

1. Put the cream soda in a pan to boil
2. Melt the butter and sugar together until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Pour the butter and sugar mixture into the pan of boiling cream soda (make sure the soda is boiling, or the butter and sugar will solidify)
4. Add the cream
5. Add the Werther's Originals and stir continuously until they melt.
6. Serve Hot


Acid Pops
Sour Blow Pop lollipops (as many as you would like to make
Pop Rocks (whatever flavor you would like, I suggest Strawberry)

1. Unwrap Blow Pop Lollipop
2. Roll Blow Pop in Pop Rocks (sucker will be sticky without any extra moisture so Pop Rocks will stick)
3. Wrap in wax paper

You can also use Honey to make the Pop Rocks stick!

These Lollipops are so fun!  Pop Rocks will immediately start loose their pop, when mixed with the moisture of the lollipop.  So make and serve as close as you can for the best result.




Have so much FUN today Celebrating!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment